Saturday, November 20, 2010

Here I am now

Looking back on my thoughts on the use of iPod Touches or other similar hand held technologies, my thinking has not changed too much. I think in the beginning I was more skeptical as to whether or not these were actually being used in the classrooms and now I have arrived at the understanding that they may not be in full use but they are being used. In addition, their use is spreading.

In my previous post on the iPod Touch, I was missing real life examples of how a class set of these are being used in classrooms today. I am struggling to find this information, although I am definitely on the look out. I plan to keep my eyes and ears open in the months to come for more practical uses. The reason why I am still searching is because I do not think the way in which we have used the iPod Touch this past quarter is realistic for an individual teacher to do on their own. Each interaction we have had with students and the Touch is one on one. Granted there have been some helpful applications, such as being able to record students as they read. On the other hand, I am still searching. I have been checking out professional blogs and YouTube videos for answers.

Lastly, I am interested in the funding of a class set of iPod Touches. I am sure there is some grant out there that would help pay for something like this for classroom use. I would love to be the teacher who has them in her classroom. Maybe then I can experiment with more uses. Therefore, I am on the hunt to find funding for a project like this because even though I am searching for uses, I do believe the ipod Touch can have a positive impact on student learning.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to hear more about the practicalities of providing individualized instruction in classrooms, whether with tech or with paper and pencil. That's the teacher's big challenge, isn't it?

    We can never reach all kids if we're teaching them all at once, from the front of the room, so what can kids do independently? What can they do with a classroom buddy? If the answer isn't that they're always doing the same things at the same time with the teacher leading, then how can we start to imagine what else classrooms might look like?

    Could we trust first graders to record themselves and email the file to you? Could two kindergarters be trusted to work with a phonics app game together while you work with a small group of children on something else?

    I'd like to keep nudging you to think about how tools like this do provide possibilities besides trying to teach a whole class at the same pace, and yes, it can be challenging to imagine how that might look!

    What guestions do you still have after looking through the links on the HandHeld technology page on the tech class wiki? I'd be happy to help you to find more if I had a better sense of what you're looking for that you're not seeing there.


    Good luck finding grants! You might also soon be on the tech committee for your school, and as you're figuring out what you will and won't spend money on, you could talk about Touches as one option :)

    J

    ReplyDelete