Thursday, January 20, 2011

Google docs

I am fascinated by the functionality offered in Google docs. Google docs can be used by anyone with access to the internet. With a google account you can create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, forms, drawings and even whole folders. A google account holder can also post previously created documents and save on Google docs to share with anyone they desire.

When I used this website I chose to post an excel spreadsheet that I created on my MacBook (both Mac and PC are compatible with Google docs). The spreadsheet I created combined all of the homework, readings and assignments I have due in all of my classes combined during this Winter quarter. I set the privacy settings to allow only people who I emailed the document link to access the document. These people were also able to make changes to the document if they desired. This project took me 4+ hours since it was very complicated to combine different layouts into one. I allowed my whole cohort to access my document and make changes. Since then, a few people have made changes to the document. Although, this does not go to say that using Google docs should be challenging to new technology users. The document in its most current form can be found here: My Google doc.

I really enjoyed the translation function available within an individual document. I see this being very useful for sending home letters to parents in multiple languages or even if trying to email a parent who speaks another language. I have been told that the translation function is fairly accurate. Additional helpful capabilities of this site are the chat function and the real-time changes. For example, if I have a document open and one of my peers has the same document open, we can chat about the document and make real-time changes to the document for each of us to see. This can be very helpful when collaborating with others on work. This would be great for students who are working on a project together and will allow them to work over the internet instead of meeting face to face, if that is a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristin--

    I am just learning my way around Google docs and am pretty excited about it. I blogged (WillTeachForFood) about the use I see in Google docs this quarter and next--posting lesson plans, using Google calendars as a weekly planner. I started messing around with Google sites to set up a teaching-related Web site, where all my education stuff will while I'm at UWB and after I leave.

    I hadn't even thought about the translate function, mostly because I hadn't found it yet! One question: Was the note above "My Google Doc" meant to be an embedded link? I was hoping to try it, but it doesn't seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for noticing my missing link. I fixed it now! I didn't realize that you could make a google site. I will have to check that out. Maybe even for students use? Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete